Lowry Ruins Historic Landmark

Painted kiva, first excavation,1932. Field Museum #75656

LOWRY RUINS

Location 27 miles northwest of Cortez, Colorado. Visit the Anasazi Heritage Center for a detailed map. 

Description: Named after early homesteader George Lowry, it was constructed about AD 1060 on top of abandoned pithouses from an earlier period of occupation. Its 40-100 inhabitants were farmers who also hunted small game, made elaborately decorated pottery, and wove cotton obtained by trade. 

 Lowry Pueblo was excavated during summer field seasons (1930-1936) by Paul S. Martin of the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1967, and now is a part of Canyons of the Ancients National Monument. 

 Lowry's architecture and masonry indicate strong influence from Chaco Canyon, about 100 miles south in New Mexico. Lowry is among the northernmost Chaco-style communities, which may have formed an interdependent network spread thinly across the eastern half of the Ancestral Pueblo homeland.  

Contact Information BLM - 
Canyons of the Ancients National Monument/ 
Anasazi Heritage Center 27501 Highway 184
Dolores, CO 81323 
Tel: (970) 882-5600 Fax: (970) 882-7035